22 Jun Building awareness
We are in the establishment phase of opening the shopping centre so we are currently in the process of educating customers that we are here, we are open and trying to change their current behaviors eg – taking them away from where they normally shop to get them to shop with us.
However we cannot do this alone – we need your help. If we all work together as a strong team, we can deliver an offer to the consumers that is irresistible.
For example – let’s assess these messages:
- Visit Central South Morang – you can get food, services, fresh food, gifts
- Visit Central South Morang – you can receive a free gift for shopping today
- Visit Central South Morang – you can receive the following great deals:
- Free kids hair cuts today with every adult service at Cuts 4 All
- A bag of onions for only 99 cents at Central Fresh Market
- A free fish with every two fish purchased at Blue Fin Fish and Chips
- A free chips with every $5 spent at Red Rooster
- A brand new unique product that has just arrived in store at Dollars and Cents
- Go in the draw to win a prize at Tatts
- New nail polish that was worn by a Jennifer Hawkins is now available at Beauty Platform
- Etc… and you can also get a free gift for shopping today!
The third option let’s us educate customers about each of your stores and gives customers a ‘call to action’ or a reason to visit the shopping centre. We saw the impact of retailer participation after our soft launch versus our winter wonderland. At our soft launch many stores activated opening deals, specials, did their own marketing activities like flier drops, newspaper ads and more. For the Winter Wonderland there was not as much participation from the stores. This tells us that the customers respond to deals and value – which is typical of the customers in the area.
Who are our customers?
South Morang is an area with more children under 17 than most other suburbs. It is also an area that has higher than average mortgages compared to other areas, however the income levels of residents here is on par with other suburban areas.
Our customers that we are targeting typically are aged either 24-34 with families and mortgages and have slightly over extended on their mortgages so they value deals and specials. Or they are over 55, empty nesters who own their own homes however they have fought hard to get them, so they appreciate value, deals and specials.
They are coming to South Morang for their weekly shopping needs which include fresh food and groceries so our anchor stores are Central Fresh Food, Tasman Meats and of course Woolworths. While the customers are here they will use impulse to purchase from the other stores or it might be that after a time of seeing the services, a customer will use a considered decision to book an appointment. They will also shop at the fast food venues as alternatives to the fresh food stores, however this is also an awareness and a behavior changing exercise.
We have lots of competition in the area with not only a major complex across the road, but over 20 neighbourhood shopping centres like Central South Morang within 15km of our location
What does this mean for you?
- You need to ensure your customer service is second to none and ensure your product is high quality and good value. If we are not seen as convenient, with good service and great product, our customers have an easy choice not to come back. There are too many options and alternatives for them.
- You need ongoing marketing for your store to help gain their awareness and their sales.